Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Jurassic World

It's somewhat disconcerting that the new Jurassic World trailer excites me rather more than the latest one of The Hobbit trilogy. (I have yet even to see it.)

But then Jurassic Park was the only movie that came close to having the same impact on me as the FoTR-movie. To this day the only two movies I ever went back for multiple cinema viewing.

It looks so promising. (Although I hope they realise great white sharks are protected by now, and it better be a CGI simulacron.) A good deal of nods to the original (I hope there will also be one to the late Lord Richard Attenborough) and a good idea to just ignore the last two movies. Oh and that iconic music.

Brachiosaurs! Stegosaurs! Raptors! (I think) Predator X and a mystery theropod!

Please don't ruin it.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

YES. To all of the above

I liked Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy, so I'm hopeful that he will make a good lead. Hard to follow Sam Neil...

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!

Last edited by tolkienfan : 11-29-2014 at 09:17 PM.
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
Earniel

I have just watched the latest trailer and...

I'm starting to have doubts.

They're not going to turn Jurassic World into a monster movie, right? Because Jurassic Park was so so so much more than that and monster movies while fun are a dime a dozen. This is Jurassic Park, come on guys!

One article I read said the woman is the main character, then why is she barely in the trailers compared to the guy? I am confused.

Anyone seen it already (isn't out here yet and I won't be able to see it in a long while anyway) able to assuage my nagging doubts?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

My husband has promised to go see it with me this weekend. I wanted to go on Tuesday for our anniversary (3 years!), but he had "midterms" or some nonsense

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I saw it last weekend. It has some great moments. Not the most I could hope for, but not that bad either. The characters are fun and the story has plenty going on. There are also some nice nods to the old movies.

If it wasn't for the legacy it had to live up too I'd probably mark it higher. Definitely worth the night out though, and some action that really shines in a good theater!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Well, it isn't a masterpiece like Jurassic Park, but worth seeing if you're a fan of the first three movies.

Maybe it just because I'm older, but I felt that it was far less scary than the other three. Sure, there was plenty of action, but it felt more like thriller-action than the horror-action I was expecting. More chomping, less stalking.

For me, the high points were "open paddock nine", and the instantly-iconic zookeeper with velociraptors scene.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Mari
Elf Lady

I intend to go see it. I liked the old films, so I have high hopes I'll like this as well.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
Earniel

Finally managed to see it. I'm in two minds. As a stand-alone it is decent enough. Entertaining enough, the dinosaurs are awesome and feel like they have an actual presence on screen. The story is decent. I loved all the references to the Jurassic Park. The characters are interesting and engaging enough. Would have liked more female main characters, though. Just Claire is not enough in this day and age. Jurassic Park did better on that count. The dinosaur action is visually a feast. But it feels slightly more like a monster-movie than Jurassic Park, which is too bad.

My problems with it: [possible spoilers ahead!]

The dinosaurs appear to be made out of rubber or possibly, concrete. The things they survive without a scratch that they shouldn't be able to survive are numerous. Just how many times did they kill a raptor exactly? Also, that number of bullets would be felt by any animal. Too much monster-movie in that aspect.

They are also very mean and unnaturally blood-thirsty. They make a good case for the hybrid dinosaur to be mental, but then they mess up and make nearly every single animal a psychopath. For instance, the little Dimorphodon trying to eat people for which it is really too small and may not even have been able to digest meat, so why? And he's not alone. Zoo animals are usually fed regularly and plenty, hunger can't be a reason they're this viscious.

The Indominus rex. Okay, I can buy the idea it's a hybrid but which hybrid, even an artificially created one, can access every bleeding tiny characteristic of its genetic donor to a higher degree than the donor animal itself can? The camouflage-thing was visually stunning, but far too exaggerated. How can it talk to raptors and get complicated ideas across to a social animal it never encountered before? When it's not even the same shape or size, how would it even be able to make sounds the raptors would understand? Just because he shared a bit of the same DNA? Very unlikely. Too intelligent by half. It can't possibly have figured out it had a sensor inplanted and what it did. Also, tearing out chunks of its own flesh doesn't work that way. I could buy a few of these things, but not all.

Why isn't the T. rex in a normal pen? It's all very exciting to see and guess what's in paddock nine (I guessed), but you can't leave a big animal like a T. rex in a dark, concrete enclosure for years. And since it has been implied that this is the original T. rex that featured in Jurassic Park, they should have had it for years. To keep it hidden like that makes no sense.

The people are stupid. Really stupid. Their contingency plans sucked.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:36 PM   #9
Princess Fluttershy
Hobbit

I'm jealous of anyone who sees Jurassic World it is so cool seeing a hybrid between a T-Rex and some other dino.