Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #481
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
I think this one is the best one since Lord of Chaos! Though Knife of Dreams and Winter's Heart were great. My favorite part so far is
When Rand has a conversation with Moridin in Chapter 15 A Place To Begin
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #482
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

THIS BOOK WAS AMAAAAAAAAAAZING!!! It was everything I dreamed it would be and then some extra . Particularly the last fourth or so was just filled with moving scenes and incredible, incredible action-packed good times.

I. Love. This. Book. Definitely ranks high on the list of 'best WOT books' in my mind. Maybe THE best, except for book one.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #483
Jkoz035
Sapling

The only thing awesome about this book was that it finally arrived. Sanderson made Mat sound like a serious tool-container.
Jkoz035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 AM   #484
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I've always though of Mat as being a bit of a tool . I mean from the very start I was 'meh' about Mat...
I mean from the very beginning he was complaining, then he was always getting in trouble, then he was greedy and stole the dagger from Shadar Logoth and that just spun out into a world of trouble, then he was a dumbass and almost got himself killed by going through the second archway and getting himself hung by the aelfin or eelfin or whatever they were... Then he's always a 'player' with the ladies, and he's Tylen's boy-toy for a while, and etc.... I've never been a huge Mat fan, although I've never particularly 'hated' his scenes either.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #485
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
Rand>Perrin=Mat

My favorites, Rand is greater than Perrin who is equal to Mat!
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 03-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #486
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
THIS BOOK WAS AMAAAAAAAAAAZING!!! It was everything I dreamed it would be and then some extra . Particularly the last fourth or so was just filled with moving scenes and incredible, incredible action-packed good times.

I. Love. This. Book. Definitely ranks high on the list of 'best WOT books' in my mind. Maybe THE best, except for book one.
I was very impressed by this volume as well, Sanderson is a better writer than Jordan was, technically anyway.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #487
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
I was very impressed by this volume as well, Sanderson is a better writer than Jordan was, technically anyway.
Hmmm, I don't personally agree with that statement. I did enjoy Robert Jordan's writing style, I think the only problem is that it all dragged out too long.

I will certainly agree that Sanderson is a fantastic writer though .
Old 05-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #488
b.banner
Elf Lord

Towers of Midnight cover

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #489
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.banner View Post
Towers of Midnight cover

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! YAY! YAY! YAAAAAAAY!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #490
b.banner
Elf Lord

Official Towers of Midnight book trailer, this is no fake!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJJ0...layer_embedded

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 09-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #491
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

The prologue of the next book has recently been released, I didn't download it, but I shamefully looked at a fan site's discussion thread. Intriguing... There is a major,major (major major?) spoiler to be found if anyone reading this thread is tempted themselves to have a look

There is also appears a well connected mega fan who has been entrusted with a read of the entire book and his review is expected to be up soon. His review of the last book came out months before it's official release, although obviously it's entirely spoiler free.

My expectations are mixed. It appears that the major plot lines and characters are taking a back seat (I'm basing this judgement on nothing but the released synopsis) and the dreadfully dull characters such as Morgase and Elayne are revived with their torturous narratives to be resolved. I can only hope they are dealt with in a perfunctory fashion.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #492
b.banner
Elf Lord

I got my copy of Towers of Midnight and am now reading it!

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #493
b.banner
Elf Lord

So I guess A Memory of Light will come out next year. On Brandonsanderson.com it's says 90% finished so we'll see.

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 04-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #494
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Whelp. Wheel of Time is over.

The final book left me with an enormous feeling of WTF, SANDERSON!? but... meh. Just left me feeling really down about the characters who ended up biting it in the end, and I was so disappointed in how they handled the ending of Rand's story... plus confused.

Some good writing, but I could've done without the whole thing just being one enormous, drawn out battle scene.

Still probably the most influential fantasy series for my life growing up, but I found the ending disappointing in a lot of ways.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #495
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

My dad didn't particularly liked the ending much either. But if that's the one Jordan had planned, well, not much to do about it.

At least, now that it's finished, I can start reading. (I dislike reading unfinished series and so prefer to wait them out.)
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #496
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I loved this series so much, and the ending just makes me want to kick someone in the no-nos.

Still... outside of the ending I do love the series. I would highly recommend reading.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #497
Earniel

I think I will, once I've cleared my bedside table from the other books. It's a flimsy table, so I don't think it can support one of those big honking Wheel of Time volumes with any other books there!

Would you recommend to start at the first part or read the prequel first?
Old 04-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #498
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Start at book 1. I never found the prequel to be engaging, and in fact I don't believe he ever "finished" it... I think it was supposed to be a prequel trilogy? Anyways... read that after all the other books, IMO. It spoils the character Moraine if you read it first, I feel. Sort of like if you got a glimpse of Gandalf as a pimple faced teenager before you read The Hobbit... mystique ruined. Lol
Old 04-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #499
Earniel

That indeed doesn't sound too appealing to start the series with... Book one it is, then!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:25 PM   #500
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I've just started this series. My boss cannot extol the praises of Brandon Sanderson, and I'm super intrigued to read his books, but of course I can't start with Book 11 or whichever one he started writing. I like it, but with a full-time job, a baby and a husband (not to mention the Internet, a smartphone and Netflix) I rarely find time to read.

That does sadden me, but I like the book so far. I'm only like 100 pages in or so.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote