Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Life of J.R.R. Tolkien and his Other Works
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2015, 04:15 AM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Tolkien’s 1914 version of Kullervo to be published

Tolkien wrote a short, English version of Kullervo in 1914. It is soon to be published.

Until now, I did not how strongly the tale of Turin Turambar reflected the story of Kullervo.

See a story published June 8 in The Indian Express for more information.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
Galin
Elven Warrior

Hmm, it's already been published, with commentary, in Tolkien Studies. Although admittedly that is not a relatively widely known publication.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Tolki...dies:_Volume_7

Already got it! Or... at least what is in Tolkien Studies anyway, which looks to be the same thing at least. I wonder if the essays (from Tolkien Studies) are to be included in the new publication.

I would think so.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Galin, I’ve not read The Kalevala, though I know both the tale and the Finnish language had a profound impact upon Tolkien. How strong is the echo of Kullervo in The Children of Húrin?
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Arwen Undomiel

Cool. I bought Attalus a gift edition of Tolkien's Beowulf for last Christmas. This will do for next

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
Galin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
Galin, I’ve not read The Kalevala, though I know both the tale and the Finnish language had a profound impact upon Tolkien. How strong is the echo of Kullervo in The Children of Húrin?
I was hoping no one would ask (something like) that

As I'm sure you know Alcuin, in letter 131 Tolkien explained: "There is The Children of Hurin, the tragic tale of Turin Turumbar and his sister Niniel -- of which Turin is the hero: a figure that might be said (by people who like this sort of thing, though it is not very useful) to be derived from elements in Sigurd, the Volsung, Oedipus, and the Finnish Kullervo."

To (try to) answer your question from my own subjective viewpoint, I think I would have to read the Kullervo tale myself at least, and while this section isn't very long (subjective as that is), I haven't arrived there yet. I haven't read Tolkien's version in Tolkien Studies as I want to read the runes first, but I did read his essays.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/kvrune31.htm

The link to the next rune appears at the bottom of the page (spoiler alert: Kullervo throws himself upon his sword in rune 36)

I am reading the Kalevala rather slowly (and I mean slowly, as I pick it up from time to time and read a rune or two), and have not yet reached these particular runes. I'm not sure I would be very good with this sort of question in any case.

Anyway, here is what Tom Shippey had to say, although I am sure there are other opinions and comments about.

https://books.google.com/books?id=8L...0Turin&f=false

Now I feel like reading another rune or two!

Last edited by Galin : 06-12-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote