Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:51 AM   #481
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Nightmares are never fun. Neither is insomnia.

Still, doesn't one kinda exclude the other?

Lets hope the next visit from the sandman goes better.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #482
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Nightmares aren't good. Do they have a cause?
Started first day of school here as well. My new kiddies are adorable, but exhausting.
(Apologies in advance for the rant...)

I presume it's post-divorce- stress, had at least 3 nightmares with my ex in them. I can't quite explain how mad I was when I realised she'd been pretending and lying... Hating someone with so much passion eats you alive. So I've been trying to let go of the hate. Any tips on that?

Tomorrow I mean to return the gifts she once gave me.

Eärn, the insomnia is like not falling asleep, and waking up way too early. The 'mares come in between... But thanks buddies
Old 09-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #483
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I experienced nightmare-induced insomnia for a year or so in middle school. Not sure what the cause was - there wasn't any major trauma in my life, but I did experience a lot of anxiety on a daily basis (I don't know if the nightmares caused the anxiety or vice versa). I eventually found that making time dedicated for prayer and meditation just before going to bed helped immensely. I know it can be rough and make an impact on your day-to-day life Hang in there and good luck getting through it

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 09-05-2014, 03:33 AM   #484
Noble Elf Lord

tolkienfan, it might have been a vicious circle. Nightmare - anxiety - nightmare - anxiety....

Praying's out of question, as I'm a devoted atheist. But meditation might be good, if I somehow manage it. My thoughts never calm down well, regardless of how good I feel. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #485
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
Eärn, the insomnia is like not falling asleep, and waking up way too early. The 'mares come in between... But thanks buddies
Worst of both worlds, I see. That must suck. It might help to relax a little before going to bed. I often have nightmares when I'm stressed, especially right before bed time.

I usually get far by refocussing on something else when falling asleep and trying not to think of the issues then. Sometimes I listen to soft music and think of pretty places. I used to replay scenes from LoTR in my mind, although since the movies the visuals get mixed up and I've mainly switched to my own story-plotting. I like to work out stories a lot before I write them down and falling asleep has proven excellent for that. And while I'm working out how how to get from scene A to B, or what character X will say to Y, my mind's off the problems and I sleep a lot better.

The downside is that you seldom remember just where you were when you fall asleep to so you do retread a lot of ground the next evening, and if you've solved a particularly prickly plot-point you may not remember it entirely the next day. There is one character that I remember I've found the perfect name for him late at night, but alas, I don't remember what it was. But I don't mind that too much, it means I will always have something to think about other than problems.

I won't pretend this might help you too, but I don't think you can go far wrong with thinking happy -or at least more constructive- thoughts before falling asleep.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #486
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Baby update: Doc wants me to have the baby this week. Looks like I'll be induced tomorrow or the day after, depending on the schedule of the Labor and Delivery department this week.

It's a bit like being shoved off the high dive instead of jumping on your own. But we're excited to have the little guy here, finally.

He didn't make it to the Party Day, though. That would have been pretty cool.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 09-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #487
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Keep up updated as you're able That's so exciting!

I'm sure the doc has a good reason for inducing, and it's good to be safe instead of have a more complicated delivery.

Looking forward to your update! and remember, pain relief is your friend! (at least IMHO ) I think it lets you enjoy the whole experience much better. If you're OK with it, don't be afraid to ask for it! I've been both routes and I really recommend pain relief when the labor gets more difficult.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #488
Mari
Elf Lady

Good heavens, yes. I don't know why in the Netherlands they're so focussed on natural birth bla bla. Presumably it's better for the child, but I tend to faint when I get even a minor scratch, so... >_< Anyway, kee us informed!

Noble: if your hate and upset over the situation with your ex is causing the nightmares, can't you try to shift your focus on your relationship to a different angle? Trying to remember the good times might help to lessen the hate, or thinking of reasons other than the betrayal why it wouldn't have worked anyway. Or try to shift your focus completely away from the relationship to something else like your future/work/whatever?

Good luck in any case!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 09-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #489
Noble Elf Lord

Well, it's snowing here... howbout others?
*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

Thanks, Mari. It's just that I'm rather - English has apparently no better word than "unforgiving" although that's slightly over the top in my case. In Finnish we have a word that's best translated as "angry for a long time". I'd feel like I'm cheating myself if I think about the happy times. I'm trying to think about other stuff and feel pity rather than hate. It'll pass...
The general feeling of this is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR0k...fcuVKKDcEEaY_A
Old 09-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #490
Mari
Elf Lady

You could also decide to just forgive, but not forget. Isn't the best way to get "revenge" to live well? Surely better than making yourself unhappy. It's not like things will change if you do. But it's up to you.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #491
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Hey, guys! Just an update: Our son was born on Sept 11. He's just over two weeks old now.

Exactly now, at the moment of posting, it's 5 a.m. (been up since around 2:30ish) and he's screaming and crying. *sigh* The joys of parenthood.

He's extremely cute, though. This is a picture of him shortly after his birth. He's put on some weight since then. I love all his many facial expressions!

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #492
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Congratulations, Midge!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 09-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #493
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

What a cutie! Congrats!

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #494
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Congrats, Midge!

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 09-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #495
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Hey, guys! Just an update: Our son was born on Sept 11. He's just over two weeks old now.

Exactly now, at the moment of posting, it's 5 a.m. (been up since around 2:30ish) and he's screaming and crying. *sigh* The joys of parenthood.

He's extremely cute, though. This is a picture of him shortly after his birth. He's put on some weight since then. I love all his many facial expressions!
Congratulations!!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #496
Noble Elf Lord

All the best to you and yours, Midge
Old 09-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #497
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Thanks so much, guys! We are excited to see him grow up! In the meantime, don't worry. I'll make sure he knows LOTR.

On another note: I have some cousins who have jumped (with both feet) into the Hobbit/LOTR fan club. So when their parents told them his name (Barlow), they heard Balin and decided that was what they would call him.

It's not a terrible nickname, although a slightly more appropriate LOTR-themed nickname would be "Barley", as in short for Barliman, as in the proprietor of a fine establishment in Bree.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #498
Earniel

Congrats, Midge! He looks like a sweetie (vocal sweetie, likely, but still a sweetie. )

Phew, I think that was about my longest absence apart from holidays. Life threw a brick at me and I forgot to duck. Did I miss much?
Old 10-04-2014, 06:14 AM   #499
Mari
Elf Lady

Wow, what a cute little human! Congrats, Midge

Earn, I hope the bruising is fading?

Old 10-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #500
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Bricks.. Ducks... and Bruising,
Eärniel ? ? ? ?

The Mind Boggles!
Anyways - Ducks aren't really all that efficient at deflecting bricks: next time life hurls bricks- take evasive measures: (See below graphic for advanced techniques to silmutaneously avoid both low flying bricks and head-height bricks)

So what on Middle earth has been happening??

oh btw- Grats to Midge
Closed Thread